Flag, 2008, by Leo Villareal. From his solo exhibit at the San Jose Museum of Art, opening Wednesday. (Image courtesy of the San Jose Museum of Art.)
- Long Beach: My partner-in-crime Rosa Lowinger is giving a talk on Cuban Modernism at the Museum of Latin American Art, this Sunday at 2pm. Check it!
- L.A.: The 2010 Vice Photo Show at Scion Installation L.A., through Sept. 4.
- L.A.: Wet Paint 2: Nine L.A. Artists, with Matthias Merkel Hess, Joshua Nathanson and Patricia Fernandez, at Steve Turner Contemporary, through Saturday.
- L.A.: Todd Gray and Kyungmi Shin at the See Line Gallery at the Pacific Design Center, through Sept. 10.
- L.A.: Ryan Trecartin, Any Ever, at MoCA at the Pacific Design Center, through Oct. 17. (Can someone please explain Trecartin to me? ‘Cuz I just don’t get it.)
- S.F.: The August Group Show, featuring Eddie Martinez, Conrad Ruiz, Kristine Moran and many others, at Guerrero Gallery, through Sept. 4.
- Cincinnati: Mark Harris and Barry Van Boekels at Country Club, Cincinnati, through Oct. 2.
- NYC: Lee Bontecou: All Freedom in Every Sense, at MoMA, through Sept. 6.
- NYC: Rineke Dijkstra at Maria Goodman, through Saturday.
- Paris: William Kentridge: Five Themes, at the Jeu de Paume, through Sept. 5.