Untitled, 1985, by Yayoi Kusama. Part of the exhibit Possible Worlds: Mario Ybarra, Jr., Karla Diaz and Slanguage Studio Select From the Permanent Collections, at LACMA. Through September 25, in the Fairfax District. Mario and Karla are the coolest peeps ever. Go see this show!!! (Image courtesy of LACMA.)
- L.A.: Distant Star, an exhibition inspired by the writings of Roberto Bolaños, at Regen Projects. Opens today.
- L.A.: Cordy Ryman and Kiel Johnson, Construct, at Mark Moore. Opens Saturday at 6pm, in Culver City.
- S.F.: Division of Labor, a four-day performance arts fest, with Nao Bustamente, Leticia Castaneda, Daniel Blomquist and many others, at The Lab. Kicks off Friday at 8pm.
- Chicago: Amy Casey, Boomtown, at Zg Gallery. Opens Friday, at 5:30pm.
- NYC: Box Hockey closing party at Pandemic Gallery. This Friday at 8pm. This will be the most fun you’ll have with a broom handle and a hockey puck. Do. Not. Miss. Also: Bring Band-Aids.
- London: The Animation Show, at the Barbican. Through September 11. If anything, be sure to click through and watch Run Wrake’s rabbit animation. Whoa.
- Plus: Get the rest of my NYC listings over at Gallerina — complete with Muppets!!!