South Philly (Mattress Flip Front), by Zoe Strauss. The photographer currently has an all-kinds-of-major solo exhibit up at the Philadelphia Museum of Art called Ten Years. Be sure to check it! (Image courtesy of Zoe Strauss. To see more, check out this slideshow at the NYT.)
- L.A.: Elias Hansen and the Reader, We Barely Made It, at The Company. Open Saturday.
- L.A.: L.A. Raw: Abject Expressionism in Los Angeles 1945-80, from Rico Lebrun to Paul McCarthy, at the Pasadena Museum of California Art. Opens Saturday, in Pasadena.
- L.A.: Release party for the comics anthology Kramers Ergot No. 8, at Family, on Fairfax Ave. This Thursday, at 7pm.
- L.A.: Culture Fix: A talk by Judithe Hernandez on the role of women in the Chicano Art Movement, at the Fowler Museum at UCLA. Next Wednesday, Jan 25, at noon.
- Palm Springs: Backyard Oasis: The Swimming Pool in Southern California Photography, at the Palm Springs Art Museum. Opens Saturday.
- New York: Sarah Morgan, Childhood Homes, at the Homefront Gallery, in Long Island City. Opens Saturday at 4pm.
- Plus: See my other New York recommends in Gallerina…
PLUS PLUS PLUS: I’m speaking on a panel about Bushwick this Thursday at 7pm at the Bogart Salon. I’ll be unveiling my new interpretive dance called Health Food Stores Wrapped in Corten Steel Are Harshing My Mellow. Please come!!!!
PLUS PLUS: I’m going to be part of the crew doing a continuous 48-hour reading from Gertrude Stein’s The Making of Americans for Triply Canopy in Greenpoint. Bring your finest Modernist language. The show gets started on Friday evening. I’ll be on stage some time Sunday around noon.