Untitled, 1960, by Ralph Eugene Meatyard. Part of the photographer’s solo exhibit at Peter Freeman, Inc. Opens Thursday, in SoHo. (Courtesy the Estate of Ralph Eugene Meatyard and Fraenkel Gallery.)
- L.A.: Made in L.A., a biennial, at the Hammer Museum, LaxArt and the L.A. Municipal Art Gallery. Opens Saturday, at various locations.
- Chicago: Phantom Limb: Approaches to Painting Today, at the Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago. Through October 21.
- Miami: José Bedía, Une Saison en Enfer (A Season in Hell), at Fredric Snitzer. Opens Thursday at 7pm, in the Wynwood Arts District.
- NYC: The Forty-Deuce: The Times Square Photographs of Bill Butterworth, 1983-84, at PowerHouse Arena. Opens next Tuesday, in Dumbo. A reception will be held on June 12 at 7pm.
- Plus: Get all my latest New York picks on Gallerina…
Bushwick Open Studios
That’s right! It’s open studio time! Put on your walking shoes and pack a Gatorade, ‘cuz this shit is going to be a chicken run of more than 500 participating spaces — including our own. I am in absolutely no position to tell you what’s good and what isn’t because my head has been elsewhere. For pointers on what to see, check out Art Fag City (with map), Hyperallergic (muchas gracias for the plug!) and ArtInfo — the latter of which contains a picture of Skewville’s Art Park and Celso’s Chicha Disco.
But if you happen to be cruising through the northern edges of the neighborhood, please pop in to visit our space. Celso will be showing a schematic for the La Luz project in Cuzco Peru (see above), which is now fully funded! Thank you thank you thank you to all who contributed and pimped it and gave us moral support. It has meant a great deal!
Deets are as follows:
Celso Open Studio
Saturday, June 2, noon-6pm
Sunday, June 3, noon-5pm
410 Stanhope St, bottom buzzer
L to DeKalb