Unidentified Photographer, [Part of the crowd near the Drill Hall on the opening day of the Treason Trial], December 19, 1956. From the exhibit Rise and Fall of Apartheid: Photography and Bureaucracy of Everyday Life at the International Center of Photography in New York. Opens Friday, in Midtown. (From the Times Media Collection, Museum Africa, Johannesburg. Courtesy of the ICP.)
- L.A.: Ken Price Sculpture: A Retrospective, at LACMA. Opens Saturday, in the Fairfax District.
- L.A.: Andrea Bowers, Help the Work Along, at Susanne Vielmetter. Through October 20th, in Culver City.
- S.F.: Six Lines of Flight: Shifting Geographies in Contemporary Art, at SFMOMA. Opens Saturday.
- Durham, N.C.: Eat, Pray, Weave: Ancient Peruvian Art From the Permanent Collection at the Nasher Museum. Opens Saturday.
- NYC: Regarding Warhol: Sixty Artists, Fifty Years, at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Through December 31, on the Upper East Side.
- NYC: Materializing “Six Years”: Lucy R. Lippard and the Emergence of Conceptual Art, at the Brooklyn Museum. Opens Friday, in Brooklyn.
- NYC: Teresita Fernandez, Night Writing, at Lehmann Maupin. Opens today, on the Lower East Side.
- NYC: Carla Gannis: The Multiversal Hippozoonomadon & Prismenagerie, at Pablo’s Birthday. Through October 13, on the Lower East Side.
- NYC: Andrea Zittel, Fluid Panel State, at Andrea Rosen Gallery. Opens Friday, in Chelsea.
- NYC: Gordon Parks: Centennial and Contact: Gordon Parks, Ralph Ellison and ‘Invisible Man’ at Howard Greenberg Gallery. Opens Friday, in Midtown.
- NYC: Chauncey Hare, Christine Hill, Karel Martens, at P! Gallery. Opens Sunday, in SoHo. (Good luck navigating their website, it’s impenetrable. Find them at 334 Broome St.)
- NYC: Someday All the Adults Will Die: Punk Graphics 1971-1984, at Boo-Hooray. Opens Thursday, in Chinatown.
- NYC: Andrew Ohanesian at the Boiler, at Pierogi. Opens Friday, in Williamsburg.
- NYC: Chris Ware, Building Stories, at Adam Baumgold Gallery. Through October 27, on the Upper East Side.
- NYC: Creative Time sponsors an evening under the stars, with Werner Herzog, Trevor Paglen and Tracy K. Smith. Next Wednesday at 7pm, in the upper terrace at Bryant Park.
- Berlin: Art Berlin Contemporary, at Station Berlin. Runs from Thursday through Sunday.