Chicago, from a negative from 1958 (print from 1985) by Ray K. Metzer. Part of the exhibit The Photographs of Ray K. Metzer and the Institute of Design, at the Getty Museum. Through February 24, in West L.A. (Image courtesy of the Getty Museum.)
- NYC: Silver Wind: The Arts of Sakai Hitsu, 1761-1828, at the Japan Society. Opens Saturday, in Midtown.
- NYC: Adults in the Dark: Avant Garde Animation, a film festival at the Museum of Arts and Design. Going on now, in Midtown.
- NYC: Mickalene Thomas, Origin of the Universe, at the Brooklyn Museum. Opens today, in Brooklyn.
- NYC: The New York Art Book Fair, at MoMA PS1. Today through Sunday in Long Island City.
- NYC: Brooklyn Commons: Martha Rosler and Michael Arcega, an artist talk, at ISCP. Next Tuesday, October 2nd, at 6:30pm in Williamsburg.
- Chicago: Woyzeck on the Highveld, a collaboration between Handspring Puppet Company and William Kentridge, at the Museum of Contemporary Art. Performances run through Sunday. (If I lived in Chicago, you’d find me at this event. It sounds incredible.)
- Plus: Joerg Colberg responds to my response to his essay about photos of the dead… Interesting debate.