The Fowler Arts Collective has gathered all manner of streety types for a combined mural project called Paint it Now that will debut this Friday at 7pm. The above image is from one of the exhibit’s previous incarnations at the Distillery Gallery in Boston. Now organizers Thomas Buildmore and Scott Chasse are bringing it to NYC, making this a good opportunity to get your black and white on — all while checking out works by Darkclouds, Celso, Nineta, Royce Bannon, Damon Silver and many others. See y’all there!
Opening night for Celso’s ¡No Habla Español! at Pandemic was all kinds of fun. Thanks so much to everyone who came out. We danced, we drank, we danced some more — in a teeny weeny discoteca — into the night. The show is up through April 2nd, so you have plenty of time to shake some ass in the mini-disco. Plus, there’s always the closing party (April 2nd at 7pm). See you there!
An addendum: Public Radio International’s show Afropop has an excellent show on the history of cumbias. They have a whole section devoted to Peruvian chicha cumbias, describing their origins and their use of those super duper psychedelic surf guitars. If you want to get a sense of what these Peruvian chicha posters are all about, give this program a listen. Also, here’s a photo essay devoted to Elliot Túpac Urcuhuaranga, of the family behind Publicidad Viusa — makers of chicha posters.
Congrats to JP for winning the C-Mon Giveaway for Skateboarding.3D.
- Condom envelopes. (Thank you so very much, Shorttage.)
- A documentary on bad writing. I need to see this.
- Improvised Egyptian protest helmets. My favorite. (Conscientious Redux.)
- MUST-READ: An absolutely fantastic piece about images culled from the East German secret police archives, complete with pix.
- Naples contemporary art museum seeks asylum in Germany. (Conscientious Redux.)
- Things looking incredibly grim for the Jersey City Museum. More here.
- Correcting misconceptions about David Wojnarowicz’s Fire in My Belly. Number one, it’s not a video. More here.
- LACMA and the Getty pick up a whole lotta Mapplethorpe.
- What you will see on the Google Art project. What you won’t see. And why it may not be as interesting as everyone thinks it is.
- Broken glass.
- Fascinating story on Brody Condon’s est-inspired self-actualization performance at the Hammer. Sounds totally weird-amazing.
- Sculpture goes QWERTY.
- Diego Rivera stole my outfit. (@ArchivesAmericanArt.)
- How Rust-oleum is writing itself out of the graffiti business. (Utne Reader.)
- Today’s Graff: It’s all about the trucks.
- On the human figures used in architectural renderings.
- Lladró, purveyor of tacky living room sculptures, is now going all architectural.
- A guide to architecturespeak. Handy.
- Snow monsters.