Mundano’s painted recycling carts. (Photos by C-M.)
Paintings that spin, Brazilian street carts laden with scraps and drippy canvases that document São Paulo’s organically-expanding cityscape. That’s what’s currently on show at Factory Fresh in the intriguing group exhibit Lichen, which is showing the work of artists Apolo Torres, Loro Verz and Mundano, all of whom hail from São Paulo. Especially interesting: Torres’s urban landscapes, which celebrate a city in permanent contact with calamity.
Lichen is up through July 26.
Click on images to supersize. Continue reading
Coextensia, by Apolo Torres. (Image courtesy of Factory Fresh.)
- In NYC: Lichen, Loro Verz, Apolo Torres & Mundano, straight from São Paulo at Factory Fresh, opens this Friday at 7pm.
- In NYC: Slavic Soul Party!, as part of Summer Nights at the Jewish Museum, next Thursday July 16th, at 7:30 p.m.
- In Beacon: We Are Familia, a salon, at Open Space in Beacon, opens this Saturday.
- In Miami: Balls in the Air at Locust Projects, be part of an interactive performance, this Saturday at 7:00pm.
- In Omaha: A Century of Retablos at the Joslyn Art Museum, through Oct. 4. (Art Newspaper.)
- In Austin: 60WRD/MIN ART CRITIC, a performance by Lori Waxman in which she receives artists and writes reviews of their work — and then signs, publishes and frames them; at the ArtHouse at Jones Center, from Friday through Sunday. (Why didn’t I think of this?)
- In Vancouver: Andreas Gursky at the Vancouver Art Gallery, through Sept. 20. (eyecurious.)
- In S.F.: Becca, Mike Maxwell & Paul Chatem at White Walls, opens Saturday.
- In L.A.: The West Coast premiere of Captured: 30 Years of the Lower East Side of New York tonight at ALIFE at 7:00pm.
- In L.A.: The Buff Monster Summer Party at Japan LA tonight at 7pm.
- In L.A.: Family Books and Aaron Rose present Three films about Sister Corita at CineFamily, this Sunday at 8pm.
- In L.A.: An exhibit and book signing for Jim and Karla Murray’s Miami Graffiti at Mid-City Arts, opens Saturday at 7 p.m.
- In L.A.: Urban Myth, with Pure Evil, Zeus and many others, at Cerasoli Gallery, opens Saturday.
- In L.A.: A Public Art Party, with lots of Yayoi Kusama, in Beverly Hills, this Saturday at noon. With box lunch by Porta Via.
- In Santa Ana, Calif.: R. Crumb at the GCAC Gallery, opens Saturday.