Bag Lady in Flight, by David Hammons — ca. 1970s (reconstructed 1990). Part of the exhibit Now Dig This! Art and Black Los Angeles, 1960-1980, at the Hammer Museum. Opens Sunday, in Westwood. (Collection of Eileen Norton, courtesy of the Hammer Museum.)
If there was one place I wish I could be this week, it’s SoCal, for the official launch of Pacific Standard Time. There’s gonna be all kinds of great exhibits. Below, I’ve listed some of the ones opening this week that have caught my eye. (Don’t forget Asco at LACMA, which has already opened.) Naturally, there are many others coming up, so check out the Getty’s hub website for a complete list of all the related exhibits.
- L.A.: Pacific Standard Time: Crosscurrents in L.A. Painting and Sculpture, 1950-1970, at the Getty Museum. Opens Saturday, in West L.A.
- L.A.: Under the Big Black Sun: California Art 1974-81, at the Museum of Contemporary Art. Opens Saturday, at the Geffen Contemporary.
- L.A.: Icons of the Invisible: Oscar Castillo, at the Fowler Museum at UCLA. Through February 26.
- L.A.: Doin’ it in Public, Feminism and Art at the Woman’s Building, at the Ben Maltz Gallery at Otis. Opens Saturday, in Westchester.
- L.A.: California Design: 1930-1965: “Living in a Modern Way,” at LACMA. Opens Saturday.
- L.A.: Los Angeles Goes Live: Performance Art in Southern California 1970-1983, at LACE. Through January 29.
- L.A.: Eriberto and Estevan Oriol, Like Father Like Son, at the Carmichael Gallery. Opens Saturday at 6pm, in Culver City.
- La Jolla, Calif.: Phenomenal: California Light, Space, Surface, at the Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego. Through January 22.
- La Jolla, Calif.: New Out West: Peter Alexander, Mary Corse and Robert Irwin, at Quint Contemporary. Through November 12.
- Austin: Banned, Burned, Seized, and Censored, at the Harry Ransom Center at the University of Texas. This looks like a must-see. Through January 22.
- Durham, N.C.: The Deconstructive Impulse: Women Artists Reconfigure the Signs of Power, 1973-1991, at the Nasher Museum. Through December 31.
- Mexico City: Saner, Los Iluminados, at Fifty24 MX Gallery (at the Colima 159 location, in Colonia Roma). Opens Saturday.
- PLUS: Find my latest New York City picks over at Gallerina.