On Some Far Away Beach, 2012, a Coogi sweater piece by Jayson Musson. Part of the artist’s solo exhibit, Halcyon Days, at Salon 94. Through August 17, on the Lower East Side. (Image courtesy of the artist and Salon 94.)
- Honolulu: Comforts for the Soul: Arts for the Afterlife, at the Honolulu Museum. Through November 4.
- L.A.: Michael Heizer: Actual Size, at LACMA. Through September 9, in the Fairfax district.
- NYC: Ghosts in the Machine, at the New Museum. Opens today, on the Lower East Side.
- NYC: Oscar Medrano Perez, an exhibition of photography related to Peruvian human rights, at the Instituto Cervantes. Opens Friday at 6pm, in Midtown. (Medrano took one of the most poignant photos of the country’s Internal Conflict. I featured it as the top image on this post I wrote in 2009, when I visited the Yuyanapaq exhibit at the Museo de la Nación in Lima.)
- Detroit: Post-Industrial Complex, at the Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit. Through July 29. **Last two weeks.**
- NYC: Style Wars, a look at graffiti in contemporary culture (sounds interesting!) and Revolution Not Televised, contemporary Cuban art and practice, at the Bronx Museum. Opens Thursday, in the Bronx.
- NYC: Mark Flood, The Hateful Years, at Luxembourg & Dayan. Opens today, on the Upper East Side.