Untitled, 2011, a sculpture made of acrylic and wood, by Barry McGee. Part of the artist’s solo exhibition, New Work, on view at Modern Art in London, through August 13. (Image courtesy of Modern Art.)
First of all: R.I.P. Cy Twombly. A nice obit by Randy Kennedy in the New York Times. Plus: Jerry Saltz’s tribute, complete with reference to his own cock.
- S.F.: BAN6: Visual Arts Exploration, at the Yerba Buena Center for the Performing Arts — where you can see heavy metal-inspired quilts. Opens Friday at 8pm.
- S.F.: Anthony Sneed, Grand Illusion, at the Shooting Gallery. Opens Saturday at 7pm.
- Chicago: Michael Rea, Soirée, at the Elmhurst Art Museum. Opens Friday, in Elmhurst.
- Miami: Home Dream Home, at Praxis International Art. Opens this Saturday at 7pm, in the Wynwood Arts District.
- Miami: Merzbau Now, a group show, at Fredric Snitzer Gallery. Opens Saturday at 7:30pm.
- NYC: Showpaper Presents: The Community Services, with Swoon, UFO 907, Leon Reid IV, Posterboy, Adam Void, Skewville, Celso and many others, at 285 Kent Ave in Williamsburg. This evening at 7pm.
- Plus…Find the rest of my New York picks over at Gallerina!
Barry McGee at Modern Art in London. (Photo by Practise.)
Hey Folks: Crazy day today. Digest will be back tomorrow. xox, C.
- In Pittsburgh: Barry McGee gives a talk at the Kresge Theatre at Carnegie Mellon University, as part of Life on Mars, the 55th Carnegie International, today, at 5p.m.
- In Philadelphia: Eric Doeringer, Bootlegs, Homages and Recreations, at the FUEL Collection, through Dec. 28.
- In NYC: Andreas Gursky at Matthew Marks, through Dec. 23rd.
- In NYC: Keith Haring’s Ten Commandments at Deitch Projects, through Dec. 21.
- In Washington, D.C.: Women by Women, a juried exhibit of work by women photojournalists, at Sewall-Belmont House and Museum, opens Thursday.
- In Miami: Isaac Julien and George Osodi at the Margulies Collection at the Warehouse, through April 25.
- In Denver: Nathan Abels, Stills, at Rule Gallery, through Jan. 10.
- In L.A.: William Hundley at Kindsey Desforges, opens Saturday.
- In L.A.: Louise Bourgeois at MoCA, through Jan. 25.
- In L.A.: Ed Templeton and Matt Leines at Roberts & Tilton, in Culver City, through Dec. 13.
- In Basel: Balkanology: New Architecture and Urban Phenomena in South Eastern Europe at the Swiss Architecture Museum, through Dec. 28.