- In L.A.: Pompeii and the Roman Villa: Art and Culture Around the Bay of Naples at LACMA, opens Sunday.
- In L.A.: Gary Baseman, La Noche de la Fusión at Corey Helford, opens Saturday.
- In Long Beach: Novel Constructions: Contemporary Artists Create Monumental Books at the Long Beach Museum of Art, opens Friday.
- In Long Beach: Open Studios at the Angels Gate Cultural Center in San Pedro, this Sunday, starting at 10 a.m.
- In Seattle: The stitched paintings of Sabrina Small at Grey Gallery, through May 9.
- In Chicago: Art Chicago, at the Merchandise Mart, starts tomorrow.
- In Chicago: Martha Cooper signs copies of her new book, Going Postal, at 1114 Ashland, Friday beginning at 5 p.m.
- In Philadelphia: Zoe Strauss will be exhibiting her photos under I-95, this Sunday, beginning at 1 p.m.
- In NYC: Boxed In: A Group Art Exhibit by Plaztik Mag at Factory Fresh in Brooklyn, opens Friday.
- In NYC: Wild Things: Photography for Animal Lovers at Stricola Contemporary in SoHo, opens Saturday.
- In NYC: The Great outDoors: Street Artists Illustrate Doors at ArtBreak Gallery in Brooklyn, opens Saturday.
- In London: Cindy Sherman at Sprüth Magers, through May 27.
One of these is not like the other: From a distance, they look the same… (Craptastic camphone photos by C-M.)
The other night, waiting (an eternity) for the train at the Morgan Avenue stop in Brooklyn, we noticed what must be the MTA’s latest money-saving ruse: Those old subway mosaic signs aren’t always mosaics. They’re photographs.