Bridget’s Bardot, 2009, a Ganzfield space by James Turrell. Part of the artist’s solo exhibition James Turrell: A Retrospective, at the L.A. County Museum of Art. Opens Sunday. (Copyright James Turrell. Photo by Florian Holzherr.)
- L.A.: A. Quincy Jones, Building for Better Living, at the Hammer Museum. Opens Thursday, in Westwood.
- Sheboygan, Wisc.: Uncommon Ground, at the John Michael Kohler Arts Center. Through August 18.
- Miami: Modern Meals: Remaking American Foods From Farm to Kitchen, at the Wolfsonian Museum. Through September 29, in Miami Beach.
- NYC: Edward Hopper, Hopper Drawing, at the Whitney Museum. Opens Thursday.
- NYC: Takuma Nakahira, Circulation: Date, Place, Events, at Yossi Milo Gallery. Opens Thursday at 6pm, in Chelsea.
- NYC: Jogging: Soon, an exhibition at Still House. Opens Friday at 6pm, in Red Hook.
- NYC: Lee Arnold, Rick Caruso, Christina Kelly and Michael Krondle, Natural Selection, at Trestle Gallery. Opens Friday, in Gowanus.
- Milan: Mike Kelley: Eternity is a Long Time, at HangarBicocca. Opens today.
Work (Water), an installation by Motonaga Sadamasa. Part of the exhibition Gutai: Splendid Playground, at the Guggenheim in New York, which closed earlier this month. (Photo by C-M.)
A petroglyph of the Gemini Capsule, by Kevin Sudeith. Part of the artist’s solo exhibit, Modern Petroglyphs, at 308@156 Project Artspace. Opens Thursday at 7pm, in the Flatiron District. (Image courtesy of the artist. Plus: see my WNYC profile of Sudeith from last year.)
- NYC: Lorna Williams, Appositions: Still/Birth/Shit, at Dodge Gallery. Opens Saturday, on the Lower East Side.
- NYC: Maria E. Piñeres, Playland, at DCKT Contemporary. Opens Wednesday, on the Lower East Side.
- NYC: video_dumbo, at Eyebeam. Opens Thursday in Chelsea.
- NYC: B&W — Two Photographers: Maximo Colon and Elisa Perea, at MediaNoche. Opens Friday at 6pm, in East Harlem.
- NYC: Ralph Fasanella, A More Perfect Union, at Andrew Edlin Gallery. Through June 22, in Chelsea.
- NYC: To The Friends Who Saved My Life: Moyra Davey, Hervé Guibert, Heinz Peter-Knes, Jason Simon, Danh Vo, Francesca Woodman, Rona Yefman, at Callicoon Fine Arts. Opens Sunday at 6pm.
- NYC: Search for the Unicorn: An exhibition in honor of the Cloisters 75th Anniversary, at The Cloisters Museum & Gardens. Opens today.
- NYC: Land Marks: An exhibition of earthworks artists, and Imran Qureshi, on the roof, at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Through November 3.
- Chicago: Theaster Gates: 13th Ballad, and Think First, Shoot Later: Photography from the MCA Collection, at the Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago. Opens Thursday.
- New Orleans: Pat Steir, Endless Line and Self Portrait, at Newcomb Art Gallery. Through June 16.
- S.F.: Andy Vogt, Submerged on the Surface, at Eli Ridgway Gallery. Through June 22nd.
- L.A.: Mark Verabioff, Breakdown, a performance, at Night Gallery. This Saturday from 9pm-12am, in downtown L.A.
- L.A.: Antonia Wright, Be, Marisol Rendón, So Dragons do Exists?, and Hugo Crosthwaite, Studies for CARPAS, at Luis de Jesus Gallery. Opens Saturday at 6pm in Culver City.
- L.A.: Artifex, with Einer and Jamex de la Torre, Harry Gamboa Jr., Shizu Saldamando and John Valadez, at Koplin del Rio Gallery. Opens Saturday at 6pm, in Culver City.
- L.A.: John Baldessari: Crowds, at ForYourArt. Opens Saturday at 4pm in Mid-Wilshire.
- L.A.: Channa Horowitz, Orange Grid, at François Ghebaly Gallery. Through June 8, in Culver City.
An installation view of As He Remembered It, 2011, by Stephen Prina, at LACMA. On view through August 4. (Courtesy of Galerie Gisela Capitain and Petzel Gallery, New York.)
…where I’m discussing one of my favorite topics: whether photography should be allowed in museums. And yes, that’s me above, shooting through Teresita Fernandez’s 2005 sculpture Fire at SFMOMA.
Saw Over Want, 1980-82, by Carolee Schneeman. Part of the artist’s solo exhibition Flange 6rpm, at PPOW Gallery. Opens Thursday, in Chelsea. (Image courtesy of the artist and PPOW.)
- NYC: Matthew Barney: Subliming the Vessel, at the Morgan Library. Opens Friday, in Midtown.
- NYC: New Harmony: Abstraction between the Wars, 1919-1939, at the Guggenheim Museum. Opens Friday.
- NYC: Jack Goldstein x 10,000, at the Jewish Museum. Opens Friday, on the Upper East Side.
- NYC: Dennis Hopper: The Lost Album, and Cecily Brown, at Gagosian Gallery on Madison Avenue. Through June 22, on the Upper East Side.
- NYC: Ugo Rondinone, at Gladstone Gallery on 21st Street. Opens Saturday, in Chelsea.
- NYC: Bruce Conner, at Paula Cooper Gallery. Through June 22, in Chelsea.
- NYC: Los Carpinteros, Irreversible, at Sean Kelly Gallery. Opens Saturday, in Chelsea.
- NYC: Extravagant Features, curated by Clarissa Dalrymple, at C24. Through June 22, in Chelsea.
- NYC: Martin Parr: Life’s a Beach, at the Aperture Foundation Gallery. Through July 3, in Chelsea.
- NYC: Scenes from the South 1936-2012, at Howard Greenberg Gallery. Opens Thursday, in Midtown.
- NYC: Matthew Jensen: Local Expeditions, at Third Streaming. Through August 15, in SoHo.
- NYC: Richard Tuttle: The Reinhart Projects, at Pocket Utopia. Opens Saturday, on the Lower East Side.
- L.A.: Florian Morlat, Sticks and Stones, at Cherry and Martin. Through June 1, in Culver City.